Every year, World Cleanup Day unites millions of planet-passionate people across the globe to fight for a waste-free world. The movement, driven by Let’s Do It! World, began in 2018 and has been held annually on the 3rd Saturday of September.
Why is it important to clean up our environment?
Each year millions of metric tons in single-use plastic enters our oceans through land and waterways. Plastic that never biodegrades, that can harm marine life and can be toxic to our health. These pieces eventually break down into microplastics, which absorb pollutants from their surroundings and end up in the food chain. Microplastics have already been found in human blood streams and can interfere with our natural bodily functions.
As parents of young children, it can be difficult to find the balance between everyday convenience and reducing waste.
So, what can you do?
- Make waste reduction a part of your daily life by doing a 5 minute waste clean up at the playground (don’t forget your gloves).
- Going for a morning walk? Bring a compostable or reusable bag to collect any rubbish you see on your way.
- Check out World Cleanup Day to join your nearest event on this year.
- Choose companies that are 100% Certified Plastic Neutral and know that your purchase is making a difference. Learn more here.
- Keep an eye out for your local clean up initiatives and bring your little one along to experience the joy of working together for a brighter future.
By choosing to weave these activities into our routines, we are impacting more than just ourselves. Community clean up initiatives create community bonding, improve environmental health and positively impact the well-being of local ecosystems.
We’d love to hear about your experiences in reducing waste in your community!